Monday, July 13, 2009

Mmmm Silk

I'm kind of a fabric freak. I've been eyeing this gorgeous printed silk at a local fabric store and finally broke down and bought it. Only a half yard since it's pricey, but it's finally mine!! It's been sitting here begging to be made into a bag for over a week and yesterday I FINALLY got around to it!



I love anything with lime green and buttons. I also needed a non-messenger bag since that's pretty much all I own. I made it sort-of hobo style with antiqued brass hardware, 5 fabric buttons, and a great knotted strap! It's lined (expertly I must say, since I have a habit of screwing that part up) with natural colored cotton canvas. The outer fabric is 100% silk, but it feels like cotton canvas. That left me wondering if I'm really getting ripped off, but it was still too cool to pass up. I know a lot about fabrics, but this is the first time I've ever found a silk that feels like this. Either way, it turned out exactly like I pictured it in my head and that almost never happens. I'm going to attempt to make another soon.

I also found a new addiction. Fabric buttons! Like I need another crafty obsession. I bought a couple packs of these last week and they were so simple and quick that I immediately went back to the fabric store to buy more. Then I got home, made them all, and went on Etsy and bought even more. Tonight after work I plan to get back to the store and get MORE since I can't wait till my Etsy shipment arrives. I don't know what I will do with them all, but they sure are pretty! They are like the heroin of my craft world at the moment. There's nothing I like better than instant gratification.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Yay! I'm right there with you. I love fabric splurges and I love buttons. :) Great bag (and buttons)!

MariaSoleil said...

Super cute stuff Delainie...If this new addiction means you are over your book binding addiction, just let me know...I'll buy your binder. :) Like I need a new addiction.

Jennadesigns said...

Love the buttons! I too just bought a pack at the fabric store. I haven't opened them yet, but I can totally see how they'd be an addiction! Yours look beautiful! (I love the bag too!)

Sarah_Momto4Boys said...

I love all the work you do and Brody is hovering over me right now saying "Mom that's a big purse, you should get that purse, and mom I like typing I type all the time" I adore your buttons they are beautiful! I want to buy some even though I have nothing to do with them lol.

Sara said...

very nice!

Curtis Collectables :) said...

Cute bag! I love buttons too. But I haven't ventured into the fabric button land. I'm scared. Haha.